About The Department
The Department of Mechanical Engineering had its inception in the year 1998 and is permanently affiliated to Anna University. Mechanical engineering is a core area which provides the student with the skills required for a professional career in a wide range of sectors like finance, industry, consultancy and public services. The department has an intake of 120 students each year for its undergraduate program and 18 students for its postgraduate program.
As the work of a mechanical engineer involves production, transmission and use of mechanical power and heat, we teach them to analyse the different materials used for the machines and their tolerances, investigate the different energy sources and the power they generate and the design problems if any. The department imparts knowledge in three major areas, namely Thermal Engineering, Manufacturing and Design. The faculty specialization is spread over these areas. The department has 5 doctoral degree holders and 10 others are in various stages of completion of their doctoral programs. Student chapters of SAE, ISTE, Energy Club, and Institution of Engineers (I) are also functioning effectively to help the student community.
The department has bagged an AICTE project for Rs.7.0 lakhs in the area of alternative fuels. Apart from these, two student projects received funding of Rs.1.0 lakh each from AICTE. Nearly 40 % of the students leaving the department after their course are pursuing Master’s program from reputed Indian & Foreign Universities. Many are placed in leading companies and a few others have become successful entrepreneurs.
The department aspires to become a globally recognized centre of excellence by producing competent professionals in Mechanical Engineering to serve as a valuable resource for industry and society.
- Impart intellectually rigorous and holistic education to the students in the field of Mechanical Engineering.
- Establish state of-the-art facilities for research and consultancy work.
- Enhance the knowledge and skills of the faculty with the latest advancements in the mechanical engineering domain.
- Mentor the students to develop research and entrepreneurial capabilities.
- Inculcate a high degree of professionalism and contribute to the needs of industry and society
B.E. – Mechanical Engineering – 4 Years
M.E. – Engineering Design – 2 Years
M.E. – Manufacturing Engineering – 2 Years
Recognised Research Centre for pursuing Ph.D. / M.S. (By Research)
Curriculum and Syllabi
B.E. –Mechanical Engineering – 4 Years
M.E. – Engineering Design – 2 Years
M.E. – Manufacturing Engineering – 2 Years
Programme Educational Objectives
The graduates will:
- Excel as competent professional or entrepreneur or researcher in related fields of Mechanical Engineering.
- Analyze, design/develop innovative solutions for real world engineering problems using appropriate modern tools.
- Exhibit professionalism, ethical attitude and adapt to the changes in the industry and society supporting sustainable development.
- Lead and manage teams for effective execution of projects.
Engineering graduates will be able to:
- Engineering Knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem Analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design / Development of Solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct Investigations of Complex Problems: Use research based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern Tool Usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The Engineer and Society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and Sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and Team Work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project Management and Finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Lifelong Learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and lifelong learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Program Specific Outcomes
- Model, analyze, design and realize physical systems, components or process by applying principles of three core streams of Mechanical Engineering, i.e., Design, Manufacturing, Thermal and Fluid Engineering.
- Apply the knowledge of AutoCAD, SolidWorks, Ansys, CNC programming, simulation softwares, MATLAB, Machine tool practices, Material & Machine testing, Fluid & Thermal machinary to solve real time Mechanical Engineering problems..
- Engage in lifelong learning and follow professional ethics, codes and standards of professional practices.
Mechanical Engineering is the broadest of all Engineering disciplines. As the Industrial sector has drastically expanded, the need for more mechanical engineers has increased exponentially. Every manufacturing and production industry needs mechanical engineers to carry out jobs efficiently and flawlessly. Its major components are Manufacturing, Design and Thermal Sciences. It is concerned with all types of machinery in industries, their functioning, design, development and installation. It also deals with Gas turbines, Jet Engines, Air Conditioning, use of mechanical power and heat. They share interests with many other engineers like Civil Engineers in structures and stress analysis; Electrical engineers in electronics, computing and control theory; Aeronautical Engineers in fluid flow and turbo machinery etc. They work as part of a team with other engineers as well as financial, business and management professionals on a project together. Mechanical Engineers are also responsible for maintenance and repair of the devices. Care has to be taken that the plants give maximum output and the machinery is properly maintained. Mechanical engineers have always been essential staff personnel in various industries of both public and private sectors.
Industries relating to Manufacturing, Automobile, Power, Aeronautical, Biotechnology provide excellent job prospects for budding Mechanical Engineers. The future of mechanical engineering lies not only in the core sectors of energy, manufacturing, design, transportation and healthcare but also in emerging disciplines like nanotechnology, mechatronics and hydrogen engineering. Nanotechnology is going to be the crux of mechanical engineering discipline. Breakthrough research in this scientific area leads to immense opportunities for betterment of existing areas such as production technology and aerosol science & technology. Mechatronics is an area that could witness a giant leap in the coming years. Mechanical engineering is going to benefit from the developments in electronics, photonics and intelligent systems. The direct applications of these technologies in the automation of Future of Mechanical Engineering industries, robotics and manufacturing offer excellent possibilities for mechanical Engineers. Hydrogen engineering is another notable sector in the coming years. The production, Storage and use of this “most abundant, yet difficult to handle” element as a potential answer to world’s energy problems requires contribution from mechanical engineers more than anybody else.
Plenty of Research opportunities are found in Mechanical Engineering areas like, Solar Energy Cryogenics, Industrial refrigeration; Laser assisted manufacturing, Dynamics of vibrations and acoustics, Mechatronics, Robotics, and Automation, Polymer Engineering, Bio Mechanical Engineering, Computer Aided Engineering.
The faculty members of the college not only guide the students in their academic pursuits, but also channelize their thoughts and actions in the positive direction. They encourage the students to develop their talents in extra and co-curricular activities. Their efforts are concentrated on achieving all-round development of the students and in moulding them into good citizens.
The faculty comprises highly qualified and experienced professors who are from reputed institutions like the Indian Institute of Technology, Indian Institute of Science, Indian Institute of Management and Anna University. Apart from full-time professors, visiting professors from various industries and research organizations in-and-around Chennai, deliver guest lectures and provide guidance. Moreover, eminent academicians from U.K. and U.S.A. and consultants of various industries provide additional inputs and impetus to the various programmes and ensure that graduating students are sufficiently exposed to industrial practices.
The faculty aims to help the students to achieve their best in their chosen field. To meet this aim:
- We provide a core team whose qualification, experience, dedication and ability to impart knowledge remains unrivalled.
- We instill in the mind of students a pride in their national identity, sense of responsibility, honesty and integrity.
- We provide a learning environment geared for achieving the highest standards of academic excellence.
- We encourage them to be goal-oriented.
- We transform them into responsible citizens who will take an active part in community-service when they enter their respective professions.