- DST-FIST Power System Protection Lab
- Wind Driven Air Storage System
- Roof Top Solar PV Plant
- Renewable Energy Lab
- Valve Operations For Arjun MBT
- WSN Based Irrigation System
- New Light Weight Green Composites
- Multi-Functional Agro Gantry Machine
- Design Of OLED Materials
- Adaptive Landing Technique
- Base Drag Reduction Studies By CFD
- Qual Water Surveillance System
- Numerical Investigation of Bi-Metal
- BCI for Locked In Syndrome Victims
DST-FIST POWER SYSTEM PROTECTION LAB
- The objective of the Lab is to undertake research work for graduate students and Industry Professionals in the art and science of Protection Engineering / Substation Operation & Control
- Numerical Relay from GE (Alstom) for various main equipments like Generators/Transformers/Transmission Lines/Bay Control Units of Substation. We intend to keep them in separate Panels fully wired as would be in the real Substation
- Computerised Test Equipment OMICRON make is also a part of the Lab to test all the above relays
- Initially all the basics and philosophy of Protection of various equipments will be covered in different modules and the participants will be trained to test the relays and do the relay setting calculations
- The relays are networked to the central SCADA unit to demonstrate the operation and control of Substation equipment
WIND DRIVEN AIR STORAGE SYSTEM SPONSORED BY NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF WIND ENERGY (NIWE)
FOUNDATION DESIGN & BOLTS
- The rotor of the wind turbine drives the compressor and the excess energy from the wind turbine is stored locally as compressed air in a pressurised storage tank.
- Piston displacement air compressor is used to store and extract energy, which operates nearly at isothermal conditions to have maximum efficiency.
- A 5 HP oil lubricated compressor is mounted in the wind turbine nacelle which is located on the top of a 20 m lattice tower.
- A rotating union that is located in the nacelle couples the compressor and the storage tank of 10000 litres capacity that is situated within the tower and the stored air is regulated by pressure regulators for feeding required loads.
- The safety of the system is ensured as when the tank is full, the piston will not be able to compress further and the rotor is stopped.
- The rotor directly drives the compressor and when the pressure exceeds the tank set pressure, then the rotor will not spin. A heat sinks panel and a radiator (if required) for the compressor will be employed.
- To reduce the problems associated with thermal rise the compression chamber made up of Aluminium die castings with fins will be employed.
- An actual prototype of the following model is planned: 5 kW capacities [Class III] Wind Turbine for 5 HP Compressor. A 1 kW Generator is coupled to 5 kW Wind Turbine for feeding lighting loads.
100kW GRID CONNECTED SOLAR POWER PLANT SPONSORED BY KCG COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY
ROOF TOP SOLAR PV PLANT
- The objective of the project is to demonstrate the technologies of solar power generation at a place which is visited by young and innovative minds.
- The Solar PV system at our college promotes green energy and clean energy also provides resource for the students for conducting study, research & development activities.
- With the challenging situation of global climate change and need to cut down carbon emissions KCG college of Technology has taken an initiative by setting up 100 KW Grid Connected Roof Top Solar PV Plantat the terrace of Aeronautical Block.
- This Solar PV system at our college will promote green energy and clean energy.
AICTE MODROBS SUPPORTED MODERNIZATION OF POWER ELECTRONICS DRIVES AND RENEWABLE ENERGY LABORATORY
RENEWABLE ENERGY LABORATORY
- To ensure that the Faculty / Students are benefited through practical and project work that suits the needs of the Industry this lab is installed and the equipments are financed under the MODROBS scheme.
- Power Quality Analyzer provides all the parameters like power, voltage, current, harmonics, dips, sags which otherwise is to be measured manually, consuming time and manpower.
- In Solar Simulator, we can simulate different irradiance and ambient temperature levels to study the output of PV cells. The P-V and I-V curves can be plotted directly to the PC through USB interface.
- The wind turbine characteristics can be simulated using the DC motor driven Induction Machine setup. The speed of the machine can be changed to simulate different wind speeds.
- Students and Staff will be exposed to the latest lab test equipments which are presently used in industry. They will be able to independently study the solar and wind generation outputs for different ambient conditions.
- The upgraded lab will create a Research Oriented Environment benefiting both Staff and Students. It will create interest for the students to do projects in renewable energy sector and carry their career in core industries.
- The upgraded lab with state of the art equipments can be used to conduct workshops and Training Courses/FDP as well as to do consultancy service for industry, upgrading knowledge level of Staff to the Industry Standards.
MODELING & SIMULATION OF NBC INLET VALVE OPERATIONS FOR ARJUN MBT MK – 1 SPONSORED BY CVRDE
- The main purpose is to automate the existing NBC system completely and thereby reduce the burden of the crew members without compromising the safety.
- To fabricate the diode section, relay section and timer section on a Single Board Computer (SBC) under the control of µC
- To replace the classical electromechanical relays with Solid State relays (SSR) inside the NBC control box
- To automate the opening of the inlet valve using actuators
- To automate the filter to ventilation mode switching using actuators.
|Modelling & Simulation of NBC Inlet Valve Operations for Arjun MBT MK – 1|
WSN FOR AUTOMATIC IRRIGATION MONITORING & CONTROL- SPONSORED BY THE INSTITUTE OF ENGINEERS (INDIA)
- The purpose of the project is to develop an intelligent irrigation system to reduce the farmer’s interference in the field.
- This system increases the yield of the product by irrigating at proper and regular intervals by measuring the soil moisture with soil sensor. It measures the moisture content in the soil that varies depends on the type of Plant to be cultivated.
- By means of this measurement,we can set the moisture set point, and if it is coming below the set point,output will be generated and transmitted to the field to the remote location for starting the water pump for dripping.
- The device gives the inidication of Soil Nitrogen value in the soil,that will indicate the quantity of fertilizer to be used.
- This WSN project in agriculture is to help in distributed data collection, monitor the harsh environment, precise irrigation and fertilizer supply.
- The main feature of this project is to produce profuse crop production, diminishing cost and assist the farmers in real time data gathering.
HARDWARE CONNECTION DIAGRAM
NEW LIGHT WEIGHT GREEN COMPOSITES
- The development of new green composites with high specific strength (strength to density ratio) is in high demand
- Developing a novel green composite with enhanced mechanical properties, moisture resistance, thermal properties, and process ability etc to replace the existing materials
- Different nanometal oxides and mixed metal oxide is used as a protocol for the investigation
- The developed nanocomposite was reinforced on natural polymers and nanoindentation test was carried out
This new composite can be applied in
- Aircraft industry for making aircraft interiors
- Aircraft electronic industries and for the manufacture of mobile cases and laptop cases
- Sensor technology, energy storage etc
- Physical barriers to chemicals
- Manufacture of Sports equipment
- Building and construction industry
MULTI-FUNCTIONAL AGRO GANTRY MACHINE ASSEMBLY SPONSORED BY IIT MADRAS
- Multi- functional Agro Gantry Machine Assembly (MAGMA) is an electrically powered agricultural machine that can help farmers with agricultural operations like tilling, sowing seeds etc.
- This project aims to offer a cheaper and cleaner alternative to the modern day tractor.
- Majority of the farmers in India own land areas less than one Hectare and cannot afford heavy duty machines like tractors and rely on manual / animal labor.
- This project is intended to cater the needs of these farmers and is designed for small fields in future.
- It consists of the main gantry frame assembly which is driven by electrical motors powered by an on board battery pack.
- Different “agricultural modules” for different purposes (seed drill, tiller etc) can be attached as per the need.
- The main concept we are aiming for in this product is “modularity”, where the farmer can “choose” the modules he wants for his field ( according to what he is farming) and fit modules that are tailor made for him/her to the base gantry frame.
- Currently fabrication of the seed drill module is completed and is now working on electrical components assembly after which the fabrication of the base frame and fitment of sub assemblies to the base frame will take place.
DESIGN OF OLED MATERIALS – COMPUTATIONAL APPROACH
- OLEDS are fascinating solid state lightening device with multicolour display applications in opto-electronic devices such as digital cameras, mobile phones, TV screens, automotive dash boards, and backlight in cars.
- Computational analysis has been used by the authors to substantiate the experimental findings for structural parameters, ionization potential, population analysis and vibrational spectra earlier on.
- Theoretical measurements were carried on Donor-Acceptor monomer 4, 7-Di(2-thienyl)-2 1, 3-Benzothiadiazole using Gaussian 09 Program Package. UV/Vis spectra has been stimulated predicting the maximum absorption and emission wavelength using TD-DFT.Ionization Potential (IP), Electron affinity (EA) and reorganization energy (λ hole / λ electron),NBO, MEP have been calculated to obtain the charge transfer Properties of the monomer in the excited states.
ADAPTIVE LANDING TECHNIQUE
- Having the ability to land on and take off from angled, irregular and moving surfaces.
- This technique would greatly expand the effectiveness of helicopters across many military and national security missions such as forward operating areas, ships at sea and natural-disaster zones.
- Artificial Intelligent and Independent system which analyses the gap between the landing surface and the Helicopter and positions itself in such a way that the helicopter will have a proper stable landing.
- A servomotor that uses position feedback to control its motion and final position is used in the system
- The motor is paired with some type of encoder to provide position and speed feedback
- Based on the position signals will be send to the motor.
- As the positions approach, the error signal reduces to zero and the motor stops
- Rotary encoders and PID algorithms, both in combinational low the servomotor to be brought to its commanded position more quickly and more precisely, with less overshooting
BASE DRAG REDUCTION STUDIES BY CFD SPONSORED BY DRDO – DRDL
Base Drag, arising from flow separation at the blunt base of a body can be a sizeable fraction of total drag in the context of projectiles, missiles and after bodies of fighter aircrafts.
- The Base drag is the major contribution of total drag for low speed regimes, flight tests have shown that the base drag may account for up to 50% of the total drag.
- An Experimental investigation for simple hemispherical flight vehicle body of length 500mm and diameter 50mm was conducted for the purpose of investigating the base drag.
HY-QUAL WATER SURVEILLANCE SYSTEM SPONSORED BY MHRD – MINISTRY OF ENVIRONMENT
Focus Area: Water Quality Surveillance and monitoring of Wetlands by application of Engineering and Internet of Things.
Problem Definition: Water quality of Wetlands are threatened by untreated industry outlet climate change, poor agricultural practices, etc. which results in an oversupply of contaminants. The need to come up with better ways to check water quality regularly through new technology which involves lesser human intervention and much more cost efficient than the existing methods.
Solution Offered: IOT Based Water Surveillance System offers a viable solution that provides automated supervision over four different parameters about the water quality.
- Uses solar energy for power source.
- Will be monitored by the concerned authority using a proprietary Web site and a web server.
- TWITTER ALERT is sent to the nearby people.
- Algorithm to check water quality on four parameters generates the report that water is polluted or not and sends the suggestion for the required actions.
- EMAIL REPORT GENERATION WITH SUGGESTION will be generated and sent to the concerned authority for further action.
|OVERALL ARCHITECTURE||HARDWARE ARCHITECTURE|
EXPERIMENTAL & NUMERICAL INVESTIGATION OF CO-EXTRUDED BIMETAL MACRO COMPOSITE SPONSORED BY AICTE
Focus Area: Bimetal is the process of extruding two or more materials from a single composite billet.
During extrusion process the materials are bonded under pressure and temperature.
Ultimate goal of this technology is to achieve a fully integrated and void free interface between materials.
In this research project, copper rod is used as reinforcement in aluminium matrix. Specimen thus prepared is subjected to direct hot extrusion process and was extruded at 450 degrees
- Aluminium and copper are extruded in the ratio 2:1. Extrudate was characterized using optical microscopy
- Micro hardness, tensile, impact and compression tests were conducted and these tests prove the increase in the hardness significantly
- The copper used as reinforcement increases the hardness of aluminium which is confirmed through micrograph. The hardness profile revealed that the hardness at interface is higher than the parent material which confirms the physical bonding of coextruded component
|SPECTRUM ANALYSIS OF MATERIALS||OPTICAL MICROGRAPHS|
DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT OF BRAIN COMPUTER INTERFACE APPLICATIONS FOR LOCKED IN SYNDROME VICTIMS SPONSORED BY TAMILNADU STATE COUNCIL OF SCIENE AND TECHNOLOGY
•To design and develop novel communication tool for Locked-In-Syndrome (LIS) victims whose only physical movement in their body happens in their eyes
•To explore different communication paradigms for LIS victims like P300, SSVEP, etc
•To compare, analyze and choose the best possible communication paradigm for LIS victims.
•To develop applications that will open up the world of communication to LIS victims.
•It has a user interface through which user can communicate with it to pose any queries related to career.
|PROTOTYPE OF BRAIN COMPUTER INTERFACE|