About The Department
The Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering (EEE) has been functioning since the inception of the college from 1998. The department offers under graduate programme in Electrical and Electronics Engineering and post graduate programme in Power Electronics and Drives to cater to the ever growing challenges of technical excellence in all areas of Electrical and Electronics Engineering such as Electric Power Transmission & Distribution, Electrical Machines, Control & Automation, Power Systems, Power Electronics, Digital Systems & Integrated Circuits and Computer Technology, thereby becoming a valuable resource for industry and society. M.E. (Power Electronics and Drives) is the post graduate programme which is running from 2014-15. The department is recognised as Research Centre for pursuing research under Ph.D. and M.S. (By Research) programmes.
The infrastructure and lab facilities are upgraded from time to time and provide adequate opportunities for students and researchers to learn and innovate. The department has distinguished faculty, all holding Master degrees in all major disciplines, from renowned institutes in India. There are two Senior Members of IEEE in the department and many other faculty members are Members of IET, IE (I) and ISTE. The Department has been maintaining an active interaction with the industries and encourages the students to expose their knowledge in their fields. The breadth and depth of the research interests of the academic staff ensures excellent opportunities for challenging and stimulating major and minor projects in leading industries/institutions, besides their regular curriculum.
Professional bodies enrich the quality of professional education. Department of EEE is closely associated with the IEEE Madras Section and IET Chennai local network in conducting workshops, seminars and conferences which provide the forum for the students to be a participant, organizer and a resource person.
The Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering aims to be a centre of excellence recognized for high quality teaching, learning and research, producing competent professionals to serve the nation.
- Impart quality technical education in Electrical and Electronics Engineering domain
- Nurture industrial collaboration in research and development activities
- Maintain state-of-the-art facilities to provide opportunities for knowledge up-gradation
- Invoke the desire and ability of life-long learning in the students for a successful career
- B.E. – Electrical and Electronics Engineering – 4 Years
- M.E. – Power Electronics and Drives – 2 Years
- Ph.D. / M.S. (By Research)
Curriculum and Syllabi
B.E. – Electrical and Electronics Engineering – 4 Years
M.E. – Power Electronics and Drives – 2 Years
Programme Educational Objectives
The graduates of B.E (Electrical and Electronics Engineering) will
- Excel as successful professionals in various engineering disciplines
- Have a successful career in research and development, design, testing and manufacturing in power industries
- Provide efficient solutions for real world problems using contemporary tools
- Exhibit ethical values, professional attitude and engage in lifelong learning
The graduates of B.E (Electrical and Electronics Engineering) will be able to :
- Engineering Knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem Analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design / Development of Solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct Investigations of Complex Problems: Use research based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern Tool Usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The Engineer and Society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and Sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and Team Work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project Management and Finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Lifelong Learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and lifelong learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Programme Specific Outcomes
The graduates of B.E (Electrical and Electronics Engineering) will be able to:
- Design and investigate complex problems in electrical machines, power, control and
- Use MATLAB / SIMULINK and ETAP tools for design, simulation and analysis electrical and electronics systems.
- Follow the IEEE Code of Ethics in their future career.
Electrical Engineering, being the Power of Engineering, is one of the core fields of engineering and is always evergreen in terms of scope and job prospects. Nowadays, we see electronics playing an important role in the implementation and control of electrical machines. Keeping this fact in mind, the course has transformed from core electrical engineering into a fusion of Electronics and Electrical Engineering.
Electrical engineers are needed in all manufacturing units. All major companies of public and private sectors such as Electricity Boards, Large Scale Industries, Manufacturing Plants, Power Corporations, Hydro Electric Sector are continuously in need of electrical engineers for their projects. Electrical engineers also find promising job prospects in design industries, production plants, natural gas plants, petroleum industries as well as in steel and chemical plants.
Electrical engineers can also get a job in public sector such as Indian Railways, Armed Forces (Technical Branch) and also in Thermal and Nuclear Power Corporation Limited.
- Affiliated Training Centre of Skill Council of Green Jobs by National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC), Government of India.
- Recognised Centre for pursuing research under Anna University through Ph.D. and MS (By Research) Programmes.
Click here to view the Affiliations
The faculty members of the college not only guide the students in their academic pursuits, but also channelize their thoughts and actions in the positive direction. They encourage the students to develop their talents in extra and co-curricular activities. Their efforts are concentrated on achieving all-round development of the students and in moulding them into good citizens.
The faculty comprises highly qualified and experienced professors who are from reputed institutions like the Indian Institute of Technology, Indian Institute of Science, Indian Institute of Management and Anna University. Apart from full-time professors, visiting professors from various industries and research organizations in-and-around Chennai, deliver guest lectures and provide guidance. Moreover, eminent academicians from U.K. and U.S.A. and consultants of various industries provide additional inputs and impetus to the various programmes and ensure that graduating students are sufficiently exposed to industrial practices.
The faculty aims to help the students to achieve their best in their chosen field. To meet this aim:
- We provide a core team whose qualification, experience, dedication and ability to impart knowledge remains unrivalled.
- We instill in the mind of students a pride in their national identity, sense of responsibility, honesty and integrity.
- We provide a learning environment geared for achieving the highest standards of academic excellence.
- We encourage them to be goal-oriented.
- We transform them into responsible citizens who will take an active part in community-service when they enter their respective professions.
- IEEE Student Branch
IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) is the world’s largest technical professional organization dedicated to advancing technology for the benefit of humanity. IEEE and its members inspire a global community to innovate for a better tomorrow through its highly-cited publications, conferences, technology standards, and professional and educational activities. IEEE Students branch at KCG College of Technology is a technical society which is a chapter of IEEE, USA in Region 10. It is a combined association of faculty members along with the enthusiastic students. It is crucial to the growth and development of IEEE student members. It creates a local network of students and gives students the opportunity to meet and learn from fellow students, as well as faculty members and professionals in the field. It offers variety of educational, technical, and professional advantages to IEEE Student members through the special projects, activities, meetings, tours, and field trips. It strives for creating technology for the people and people for technology. Workshops in popular areas, distinguished lectures and student competitions are few regular events, which this branch pursues with highest order of energy and expected outcomes.
- IET Students Chapter
IET is a technical society which is a chapter of Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), London. The IET Students’ Chapter of KCG College of Technology has been functioning very dynamic and has received the following awards from IET Chennai Local Network in the past three years.
- Iconic Event of the year 2015 – For the event ‘Panel Discussion on IoT”.
- Iconic Event of the year 2014 – For the event ‘Project Challenge 2014″.
- Most Dynamic Chapter 2014 – For the vibrant technical activities.
- Taj-E-IET 2014 – The overall championship award for the commendable contribution to IET.
- Overall Championship Trophy 2013
- Most Dynamic Chapter 2013 – For the vibrant technical activities.
- Exemplary Student Chapter of South Asia 2013 – For the various commendable activities organized.