About the Department
The Department of civil engineering was started in the year 2011 owing to the huge demand for quality civil engineers in this country. The department has highly qualified faculty and excellent infrastructure facilities like state of the art laboratories, class rooms with modern teaching aids like over head and LCD projectors, computers with internet connectivity and a separate department library.
About the Course
Considered as one of the oldest engineering disciplines, Civil Engineering involves planning, designing and executing structural works. The profession deals with a wide variety of engineering tasks including designing, supervision and construction activities of public works like roads, bridges, tunnels, buildings, airports, dams, water works, sewage systems, ports etc. and offers a multitude of challenging career opportunities.
A civil engineer is responsible for several aspects in a construction project such as planning and designing,estimation,surveying,construction and maintenance. A civil engineer requires not only a high standard of engineering knowledge but also supervisory and administrative skills. The planning part of their work involves site investigation, feasibility studies, creating solutions to complications that may occur and the actual designing of structures. They have to work with the guidelines of the local government authority and get plans approved by the relevant authority. They may prepare cost estimates and set construction schedules. Construction work involves dealing with clients, architects, government officials, contactors and the supervision of work according to standards. Their work also involves the maintenance and repair of the project.
The major specializations within civil engineering are structural, water resources, environmental, construction, transportation, geo-technical engineering etc. On most projects, civil engineers work in teams or in coordination with many other engineers.
To be as a centre of knowledge in civil engineering education, research, entrepreneurship and industry reaching services for creating well-grounded substantial infrastructure and enhancing the quality of life.
Generate a specialized frame of civil engineers by imparting quality education and training.
To develop and transfer innovative applications of engineering, science and technology to improve civil engineering practice.
To engage students in creating innovative design solutions that include realistic constraints such as environmental, ethical, constructability, sustainability, and global considerations.
Achieve international standards in teaching, research and consultancy with industrial linkages.
Curriculum and Syllabi
B.E. – Civil Engineering – 4 Years
Programme Educational Objectives
The graduates will:
- Excel as successful professionals in various engineering disciplines
- Have a successful career in research and development, design, testing and manufacturing in civil industries
- Provide efficient solutions for real world problems using contemporary tools
- Exhibit ethical values, professional attitude and engage in lifelong learning
Engineering graduates will be able to:
- Engineering Knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem Analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design / Development of Solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct Investigations of Complex Problems: Use research based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern Tool Usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The Engineer and Society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and Sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and Team Work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project Management and Finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Lifelong Learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and lifelong learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Civil Engineers can find job in Government departments, private and public sector industries, research and teaching institutions etc. Job opportunities for civil engineers are expected to increase as fast as the average for all jobs, although the construction industry is vulnerable to fluctuations in the economy.
Civil Engineers will always be needed to maintain and repair existing facilities and structures and to construct new ones. After U.G granduants can look for jobs in road projects, building work, consultancy firms, quality testing laboratories or housing societies. There is a high demand for experienced civil engineers in developed and developing countries.
Civil Engineers are employed in all the major construction projects carried out by the state or central government, the railways, private construction companies, military, engineering services, consultancy services etc.
For Civil Engineers, jobs are available with several national, multinational private sectors within as well as outside the country.
Department of Civil Engineering– Details of Library
|Total No. of Volumes (Books)||207|
The faculty members of the college not only guide the students in their academic pursuits, but also channelize their thoughts and actions in the positive direction. They encourage the students to develop their talents in extra and co-curricular activities. Their efforts are concentrated on achieving all-round development of the students and in moulding them into good citizens.
The faculty comprises highly qualified and experienced Professors who are from reputed institutions like the Indian Institute of Technology, Indian Institute of Science, Indian Institute of Management and Anna University. Apart from full-time Professors, Visiting Professors,Experts from various industries and research organizations in-and-around Chennai, deliver guest lectures and provide guidance. Moreover, eminent academicians from U.K. and U.S.A. and consultants of various industries provide additional inputs and impetus to the various programmes and ensure that graduating students are sufficiently exposed to industrial practices.
The faculty aims to help the students to achieve their best in their chosen field. To meet this aim:
- We provide a core team whose qualification, experience, dedication and ability to impart knowledge remains unrivalled.
- We instill in the mind of students a pride in their national identity, sense of responsibility, honesty and integrity.
- We provide a learning environment geared for achieving the highest standards of academic excellence.
- We encourage them to be goal-oriented.
- We transform them into responsible citizens who will take an active part in community-service when they enter their respective professions.