The Department of Aeronautical Engineering was started in 2007. Presently the department offers Bachelors of Engineering Degree Course affiliated to Anna University. The course is accredited by AICTE and the course covers, Aerodynamics, Aerospace Propulsion, Aerospace Structure, Aircraft Design, Aircraft maintenance, Air transportation, Avionics, and Project work. The department initially had an intake of 60 students which has subsequently increased to 120 students per batch starting 2012. The department has organized various workshops, seminars, guest lectures and symposiums time to time. Many of the students and staff are members of Aeronautical Society of India. The present Chairman of Aeronautical Society of India, Chennai Branch Dr. Anand Jacob Verghese is the Director & CEO of Hindustan Group of Institutions.
The Department of Aeronautical Engineering envisions becoming a centre of excellence, equipping the students with value and skill based education, pursuing globally relevant research and producing professionals committed to nation building.
- To impart high quality technical education and unique interdisciplinary experiences.
- To develop students into engineering leaders with analytical, computational and design capabilities to provide sustainable solutions.
- To expose the students to the current trends and opportunities in the global Aerospace industry.
- To inculcate professional responsibility based on an innate ethical value system.
- B.E. – Aeronautical Engineering – 4 Years
Programme Educational Objectives
The graduates will
- Apply knowledge in emerging and varied areas of Aerospace Engineering for higher studies, research, employment and product development.
- Communicate their skills and have a sense of responsibility to protect the environment and have ethical conduct towards their profession and commitment to serve the society.
- Exhibit managerial skills and leadership qualities while understanding the need for lifelong learning to be competent professionals
Engineering graduates will be able to:
- Engineering Knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem Analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design / Development of Solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct Investigations of Complex Problems: Use research based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern Tool Usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The Engineer and Society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and Sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and Team Work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project Management and Finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Lifelong Learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and lifelong learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Program Specific Outcomes
- To train students in flight simulation and flight training thereby enabling students to have exclusive skills in Aeronautical Engineering.
- To give exposure to students on industrial practices like CFD, FEM and Aircraft Maintenance.
Curriculum and Syllabi
B.E. – Aeronautical Engineering – 4 Years
An aeronautical engineer is the individual who is responsible for the design, building and science of aircraft. The field is closely related to astronautical engineering; both aeronautical and astronautically engineering are branches of aerospace engineering. The topics involved in aeronautic engineering include aerodynamics , structures, propulsion, avionics, and materials science.
Job duties may include research and development, testing, parts assembly and/or the maintenance of aircraft or missiles. Some aeronautic engineers specialize in studying the effects of aircraft on the environment, the potential dangers of new aircraft technologies or fuel efficiency. Within aeronautical engineering, a person may focus on the design of aircraft systems, also called avionics, or materials research and selection.
Aeronautical engineers can also get a job in government organisation like such as , Armed Forces (Technical Branch), ISRO, HAL, NAL and also in Defence Research Development Organisation.
The department has well established laboratories with good infrastructure and state of the art instruments namely,
Aircrafts and Maintenance Laboratory
- Jet Engine Aircraft (Lear Jet 24D)
- Piston Engine Aircraft (Cessna 172L)
Two serviceable aircrafts are available which are positioned in the Aero Hangar. Periodic ground run checks, Undercarriage checks and other maintenance checks are carried out by trained professionals.
Subsonic Wind Tunnel
The wind tunnel with force and pressure measurements facility for various models are used extensively for academic and Research purpose. An advanced pressure scanner is also available to measure the pressure variation.
High Speed Jet Facility
A High Speed Jet Facility with storage tank of 4000ltrs capacity and two compressors with power 20hp each are available. Projects related to free jet, wall jet, RAMJET, etc., can be executed and other Laboratories like CAD, Aircraft Structures and Aero Engine are available for students.
The faculty members of the college not only supervise the students in their academic pursuits, but also channelize their thoughts and actions in the positive direction. They encourage the students to develop their talents in extra and co-curricular activities. Their efforts are concentrated on achieving all-round development of the students and in moulding them into good citizens.
The faculty comprises highly qualified and experienced professors who are from reputed institutions like the Indian Institute of Technology, Indian Institute of Science and MIT Anna University. Apart from full-time professors, visiting professors from various industries and research organizations in-and-around Chennai, deliver guest lectures and provide guidance. Moreover, eminent academicians from U.K. and U.S.A. and consultants of various industries provide additional inputs and impetus to the various programmes and ensure that graduating students are sufficiently exposed to industrial practices.
The faculty aims to help the students to achieve their best in their chosen field. To meet this aim:
- We provide a core team whose qualification, experience, dedication and ability to impart knowledge remains unrivalled.
- We instill in the mind of students a pride in their national identity, sense of responsibility, honesty and integrity.
- We provide a learning environment geared for achieving the highest standards of academic excellence.
- We encourage them to be goal-oriented.
- We transform them into responsible citizens who will take an active part in community-service when they enter their respective professions.
Anna University Ranks
- Secured Anna University First Rank in Aeronautical Engineering two times in 2011 and 2012.
- Total 38 University Ranks secured so far including 2 gold medals, 2 bronze medals and 13 ranks within top ten.
- Students have got placed in reputed companies such as Assystems, Infosys, Kaar Technology, Accenture, Mercedes Benz, Larsen & tourbo Infotech etc
- Students have got admitted for higher studies into top Indian Institutes like IISc Bangalore, IIT Bombay, IIT Madras, IIT Kanpur, MIT Chennai, CEG (Anna University) etc
- Students have got admitted into top foreign universities like University of Cincinnati, Cranfield University, University of Salford, Wichita State University, Concordia University, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, International Space University, University of Windsor etc
|2||Ferdian Sagai Donbosco||8|
|3||Merin Mary Thomas||31|
|1||Vijaya Prakash R||1|
|2||Mohammed Asik M||3|
|6||Aruna Bharathi S||23|
|7||Vijay Shankar R||27|
|3||Sarath Chandra Balan S B||11|
|2011 – 2015|
|4||Lawrenzi Samuel J H||20|
|5||Kamal Kumar R||32|