About The Department
The department of Information Technology was incepted in the year 2001. The department offers Bachelors of Technology in Information Technology. The program received permanent affiliation by Anna University, Chennai from the academic year 2014.
With the cooperation and involvement of the dedicated team of well-qualified faculty members, the department constantly strives to improve academic standards. The Department has excellent infrastructure in terms of laboratories, classrooms, seminar hall etc. The department laboratories are interconnected through a well-designed seamless network with a bandwidth speed of 100 Mbps to facilitate students’ access to web resources. This helps the students in meeting the demands of the regular curriculum and latest technological needs.
It has signed MoUs with NASSCOM, HTC, Merpedagagoy, Mazelon, DELL EMC and CWRCD to equip the students with the latest cutting edge technologies, the students are offered with Value Addition Courses such as Oracle, Big Data, Oracle JAVA Fundamental and Cyber Security. The Special Interest Groups for Programming, Networking, IoT, provide a comprehensive platform for the students to explore their technical skills in their specific area of interest.
Programming skill competitions, technical paper presentation, poster presentation and project presentations are conducted to give the students of the department an opportunity to showcase their talents. In addition to this, guest lectures and workshops on current and developing trends, ensure a broader outlook for the students.
The membership activities in professional bodies are in full swing and the students are members of the Computer Society of India (CSI). This provides additional avenues for students to participate in various national and international technical and cultural competitions and conferences. The department has consistently produced university ranks and has been a symbol of all-round, comprehensive student development.
The department also provides personality development programs for students, facilitates Industry -Institution interaction and offers placement assistance. Students have in the past interned at BMW, Infosys, Codebind etc. It has a consistent placement record of placing students in Infosys, CGI, HCL, Virtusa, Zoho, Kaar Technologies, Amazon, Tech Mahindra, Cap Gemini etc
The department of Information Technology aspires to become a globally acclaimed centre of excellence offering quality education and enabling innovative research in Information Technology department by producing competent Information Technology graduates to contribute towards nation building
- Impart knowledge of fundamentals as well as emerging trends in Information Technology
- Inculcate innovative and entrepreneurial abilities as well as ethical values among the students
- Establish computing facilities and research activities to enhance the knowledge
- Enhancing competency of faculty with the advanced technologies in Information Technology
B.Tech – Information Technology– 4 Years
Programme Educational Objectives
The graduates will:
|PEO 1||Have successful career in Information Technology sector.|
|PEO 2||Design, implement, test and maintain software systems based on various client requirements.|
|PEO 3||Engage in lifelong learning and adapt to changing professional and societal needs.|
Engineering graduates will be able to:
- Engineering Knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem Analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design / Development of Solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct Investigations of Complex Problems: Use research based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern Tool Usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The Engineer and Society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and Sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and Team Work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project Management and Finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Lifelong Learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and lifelong learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Program Specific Outcomes
|PSO 1||Design system to solve complex IT related problems using algorithm analysis, database technology, multimedia, web design, networking and principles of Software Engineering, to face the challenges in corporate and industries.|
|PSO 2||Communicate and function efficiently as an individual and as a member or leader in Multidisciplinary teams in software development process.|
|PSO 3||Identify the need for sustainable development in software industries and follow the professional code of ethics.|
Information technology is a branch of engineering that involves the study of utilization of computers and telecommunications in order to gather, store, control and disseminate information. Both software and hardware sectors are included in IT. Due to the importance and popularity of IT, the current age is sometimes referred to as Information Technology Age. Availability of trained and proficient professionals makes India one of the popular places for career in IT.
Several IT companies in India and abroad hire well-qualified and skilled IT professionals. Application of Information Technology can be used in many sectors, including in banking business, health and medicine, railways, agriculture, forensic science and education.
Computing professionals might find themselves in a variety of environments in academics, research, industry, government, private and business organizations — analyzing problems for solutions, formulating and testing, using advanced communications or multi-media equipment, or working in teams for product development.
Artificial Intelligence – Develop computers that simulate human learning and reasoning ability.
Information Technology – Develop and manage information systems that support a business or organization.
Software Engineering – Develop methods for the production of software systems on time, within budget, and with few or no defects.
Operating Systems and Networks – Develop the basic software computers use to supervise themselves or to communicate with other computers.
Software Applications – Apply computing and technology to solving problems outside the computer field – in education or medicine.
Department of Information Technology – Details of Library
|Total No. of Volumes (Books)||479|
|International Journals||IEEE-82, Springar-147, Elsevier-153|
The faculty members of the college not only guide the students in their academic pursuits, but also channelize their thoughts and actions in the positive direction. They encourage the students to develop their talents in extra and co-curricular activities. Their efforts are concentrated on achieving all-round development of the students and in moulding them into good citizens.
The faculty comprises highly qualified and experienced professors who are from reputed institutions. Apart from full-time professors, visiting professors from various industries and research organizations in-and-around Chennai, deliver guest lectures and provide guidance. Moreover, eminent academicians from U.K. and U.S.A. and consultants of various industries provide additional inputs and impetus to the various programmes and ensure that graduating students are sufficiently exposed to industrial practices.
The faculty aims to help the students to achieve their best in their chosen field. To meet this aim:
- We provide a core team whose qualification, experience, dedication and ability to impart knowledge remains unrivalled.
- We instil in the mind of students a pride in their national identity, sense of responsibility, honesty and integrity.
- We provide a learning environment geared for achieving the highest standards of academic excellence.
- We encourage them to be goal-oriented.
- We transform them into responsible citizens who will take an active part in community-service when they enter their respective professions.